Last Updated on
It’s nice to make a few changes into the home every now and then. It may simply mean moving furniture, new throw pillows, or a drastic change in wall color. It doesn’t have to be expensive. Whatever it is, introducing something new keeps things fun and refreshing.
If you’re looking for a fresh idea, today’s your lucky day. This secret book light switch will be a nice surprise for family and friends. This will work wherever you have a row of books displayed. Turning the light on or off would mean tilting a very specific book. And because it’s a “secret”, it’ll be fun asking guests to find the switch.
This project is easy and should not take more than a couple of hours to finish. Plus, it’s inexpensive. You have to be careful with the electrical part though. Better have the finished product checked before giving it a go – just to be on the safe side.
- 1 pc – hardback book
- 1 pc – 1/16 x 3/4″ (1.6 x 19 mm) aluminum bar
- 1 pc – SPDT (Single pole double throw) on-on push button switch
- 4 pcs – #6 x 1/4″ (6.4 mm) self-tapping sheet metal screws
- 1 pc – 3/4″ (19 mm) wide brass hinge
- 1 pc – Lutron Credenza lamp dimmer. This is can be replaced with an extension cord.
- 2 pcs – short pieces of shrink tubing
- A roll of rubber tape
- A small zip tie
- Measuring tape
- Vise/vise grips
- Drill with drill bits
- Soldering iron/gun
Click on any image to start lightbox display. Use your Esc key to close the lightbox.
If you want to start making a secret book light switch, watch the video below…