Door knockers are nice accessories that can spruce up any, uhm, door. There are different kinds: cast iron, stainless, brass – and then there’s the DIY kind. With a do-it-yourself door knocker, you get to choose your own design. They come in different shapes and sizes. We’ve seen elephant heads, angels, scorpions, frogs, an elf, and a whole lot more. That’s the best thing about making your own; your imagination is the only limit.
I came across a DIY woodpecker door knocker project and I thought it was adorable. I can imagine the little creatures drumming their heads fast on a piece of wood. With that image in mind, I think they’re well suited as door knockers.
So here’s a fun project that you can do to add a whimsical touch to your door. Or you can give them as gifts. Gather the needed tools and materials and go unleash the artist in you.
- 3/4″ thick piece of wood at least 6″ wide.
- 2″ x 2″ 14″ long or a 14″ tree branch 3″ to 4″ in diameter split in half.
- 1/8″ eyebolt
- 16″ of 1/8″ twine or rope
- 1″ diameter wood bead with a hole in the center
- paint (colors of your choice)
- staples big enough to go into the wood and over the twine
- long nail
- staple gun
Click on any image to start lightbox display. Use your Esc key to close the lightbox.
Thanks to Runnerduck Resources for this great project. You can get step-by-step instructions here…