Have you got an area where you want shade in summer but lots of sun in winter? Or maybe you have an area where you want morning or late afternoon sun but you want midday shade. Then this DIY project is for you!
Ideal for providing shade for your pergola frame, patio, deck, yard. The retractable design allow you to retract the canopy if you want to enjoy the sun and extend it to provide shade.
This convenient and stylish canopy slides easily on the cables they hang from to protect you from the sun, and is also easily retractable for when you want a little more sunlight. It can be installed on any pergola and other freestanding structures, so this DIY project is definitely for everyone!
A lot of details are involved in this project, but Sailrite has made it easier for DIY-ers by providing a wire-hung canopy fabric calculator and a comprehensive materials and tools list!
Do you need one in your backyard? Keep scrolling to learn everything you need to know about this DIY project!
You’ll need these materials:
- Polyfab Pro Stainless Steel Eye Bolt With Nut & Washers 5/16″ (8mm) #120270
- Polyfab Pro Stainless Steel Turnbuckle Eye & Eye With Nut 5/16″ (8mm) #120267
- 1/2” EMT Conduit Pipe
- Nicopress Sleeves 1/8″ #23103
- Wire Rope 7×7 Stainless Steel 1/8″ #105433
- Phifertex Plus Vinyl Mesh 54″ Fabric (we used Garden Green #3013966)
- Seamstick 1/4″ Basting Tape for Canvas #104167
- Polyester V-69 or Profilen PTFE Lifetime Thread (we used clear #107128)
- Strap Eye Stamped Stainless Steel #120461
- Self-Drilling Screws Stainless Steel #8 x 1/2”
- Fixed Eye Snap Hook Stainless Steel 3/8″ #105434
- Spur Grommet #2 #26316 (not required with Phifertex)
- 1” Polyester or Sunbrella Webbing #531600 (Not required if pulley rope system is used)
These optional materials for the rope pulley system:
- Harken 092 Cheek Bullet Block #123092
- Pan Head Screws Stainless Steel #8 x 3/4”
- Harken 226 Micro Block Double #120387
- Harken 082 Bullet Block Single #123082
- Leechline Dacron 1/8″ in Black (#212114) or White (#21209)
- Harken 471 Micro Carbo-Cam Cleat #423100
- Pan Head Screws Stainless Steel #8 x 1-1/4″
And these tools:
- Nicopress Installation Tool #19203
- Sailrite® Canvas Patterning Ruler #10704
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife Package (110 Volt) #103800
- Sewing Machine
- Sailrite® Deluxe 5 1/2″ Magnetic Sewing Guide #103597
- Tube Cutting Tool #1358
- Premium Cutting Block 5″ x 5″ #103651
- Hole Cutter 1/8″ (4mm) #102235
- Dies Set for Spur Grommet #2 #18203 (not required with Phifertex fabric)
- Tape measure
- Metal File
- Dremel Tool & Cutting Wheel
- Drill & Drill Bits (1/8″ and 5/16″)
- 1/4″ Socket Driver
- Needle Nose Pliers
Click on any image to start the lightbox display. Use your Esc key to close the lightbox.
You can get step-by-step instructions by watching the video below…
If you love this idea but haven’t got a pergola to put it on, we’ve got heaps of ideas and plans to get you started. Just click on the ‘Global Search’ box and type ‘pergola’!