Are you looking for a way to create shade in your outdoor space? A wire-hung canopy can be a great way to achieve this. By suspending the canopy from a wire, you can adjust the angle of the canopy to provide shade at different times of the day. This can be especially helpful in the summer when you want to avoid the harsh midday sun. In the winter, you can adjust the canopy to allow more sunlight to reach your outdoor space.
If you’re looking for a way to enjoy your pergola while keeping the sun out of your eyes, a retractable shade may be the perfect solution. Not only will it provide shade on hot days, but it can also be retracted when you want to enjoy the sun.
There are a few things to consider when choosing a retractable shade for your pergola. First, you’ll need to decide what type of fabric you want. There are a variety of options available, from lightweight to heavy-duty. Second, you’ll need to choose a size that will fit your pergola. Finally, you’ll need to decide how you want to operate the shade, whether manually or automatically.
This retractable shade for your pergola is easy to install and slides easily on the cables it hangs from. This stylish canopy can be installed on any pergola and other freestanding structures, so this DIY project is definitely for everyone! The best part about this project is that it can be completed in just a few hours, and you’ll be able to enjoy the shade that it provides for years to come.
A lot of details are involved in this project, but Sailrite has made it easier for DIY-ers by providing a wire-hung canopy fabric calculator and a comprehensive materials and tools list!
Do you need one in your backyard? Keep scrolling to learn everything you need to know about this DIY project!
What you need to build a sliding wire-hung canopy…
You’ll need these materials:
- Polyfab Pro Stainless Steel Eye Bolt With Nut & Washers 5/16″ (8mm) #120270
- Polyfab Pro Stainless Steel Turnbuckle Eye & Eye With Nut 5/16″ (8mm) #120267
- 1/2” EMT Conduit Pipe
- Nicopress Sleeves 1/8″ #23103
- Wire Rope 7×7 Stainless Steel 1/8″ #105433
- Phifertex Plus Vinyl Mesh 54″ Fabric (we used Garden Green #3013966)
- Seamstick 1/4″ Basting Tape for Canvas #104167
- Polyester V-69 or Profilen PTFE Lifetime Thread (we used clear #107128)
- Strap Eye Stamped Stainless Steel #120461
- Self-Drilling Screws Stainless Steel #8 x 1/2”
- Fixed Eye Snap Hook Stainless Steel 3/8″ #105434
- Spur Grommet #2 #26316 (not required with Phifertex)
- 1” Polyester or Sunbrella Webbing #531600 (Not required if pulley rope system is used)
These optional materials for the rope pulley system:
- Harken 092 Cheek Bullet Block #123092
- Pan Head Screws Stainless Steel #8 x 3/4”
- Harken 226 Micro Block Double #120387
- Harken 082 Bullet Block Single #123082
- Leechline Dacron 1/8″ in Black (#212114) or White (#21209)
- Harken 471 Micro Carbo-Cam Cleat #423100
- Pan Head Screws Stainless Steel #8 x 1-1/4″
And these tools:
- Nicopress Installation Tool #19203
- Sailrite® Canvas Patterning Ruler #10704
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife Package (110 Volt) #103800
- Sewing Machine
- Sailrite® Deluxe 5 1/2″ Magnetic Sewing Guide #103597
- Tube Cutting Tool #1358
- Premium Cutting Block 5″ x 5″ #103651
- Hole Cutter 1/8″ (4mm) #102235
- Dies Set for Spur Grommet #2 #18203 (not required with Phifertex fabric)
- Tape measure
- Metal File
- Dremel Tool & Cutting Wheel
- Drill & Drill Bits (1/8″ and 5/16″)
- 1/4″ Socket Driver
- Needle Nose Pliers
Click on any image to start the lightbox display. Use your Esc key to close the lightbox.
You can get step-by-step instructions by watching the video below…
If you love this idea but haven’t got a pergola to put it on, we’ve got heaps of ideas and plans to get you started. Just click on the ‘Global Search’ box and type ‘pergola’!